Monday, December 19, 2005

December

Ok, perhaps one of my New Year's resolutions will be to update this thing more frequently - but I doubt it.

I had a great time this weekend as I threw my annual (ok, two years in a row!) tree decorating party on Saturday. 17 people again, so it was definitely a full house. I made all the food I consider part of Christmas, as it's the same type of food that was served at my grandmother's Christmas gatherings. Swedish meatballs, cabbage rolls, potatos au gratin and ham, plus the usual veggies, salad, and dinner rolls. The only real difference between my menu and what my family ate at my aunt's this year was the bread. My cousins baked all the traditional breads - hardtack, cardamon buns, cinnamon rings - that I don't know how to do. Besides, there was tons of food already! For dessert, I served various kinds of Christmas baking - marshmallow squares, peanut butter bonbons, butterscotch haystacks, date squares. By the end of the night, my tree had ornaments, the gingerbread house had been decorated, and I had We Wish You A Merry Christmas as sung by three stuffed mice trapped in my head. I had a blast.

I've also been going to the movies a lot recently. I highly recommend King Kong, although I do think the first hour could have been cut a bit more. I only give Chronicles of Narnia 3 stars out of 5 as it dragged in places and I thought the soundtrack was really pompous and distracting. Hmm, I know I've seen more. Oh, Just Friends. Very funny, particularly if you like physical comedy. I also saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - it is one of my favourites. I'm currently on a Christmas video kick and I've watched the Muppet Christmas Carol twice in the last week. I love that movie!

As for other activities - I've been sewing a lot. Some items are top secret until Christmas, but as Lori already opened her gift, I can tell you I made my second quilted item. It is a snowman table runner and I think it looks quite nice. With the exception of one gift left to sew, all my shopping/sewing is done and I can relax until Christmas! Hmmm, I should really go work on that last gift....

If you want to see the new pics, head to http://www.geocities.com/jette_16/pics/thumbs.html

No comments: