Sunday, January 16, 2005

Reading the Paper

I have frequently said that I am not afraid to go places by myself. If a band is playing at a bar and I want to hear them, I'm willing to go even if no one else is available to go with me. The only place I'm not willing to go by myself is Blues on Whyte. Although it has the best music, the atmosphere just screams bring a friend to me. Preferably a big, scary one.

One of the places I've always considered to be fine is The Globe Tap Bar & Grill. I was there just a few weeks ago to see Trooper. If 2 friends hadn't been able to go with me, I would have thought nothing of going by myself.

So imagine my shock this morning at reading the Edmonton Sun headline:

Man dies helping friend

Where, you ask? At The Globe Tap Bar & Grill. Apparently I've missed out on some of the recent news events - there was a stabbing there in September as well. The details of this incident seem a little unclear in the report, but it seems the 23 year old man tried to help his friend who was being attacked. The 23 year old died of multiple stab wounds.

I don't know why I'm so surprised. It's not like these things don't happen absolutely everywhere. I forget that security is just an illusion and that this line I've drawn between Blues and other bars is completely arbitrary.

No comments: