Monday, January 24, 2005

Todd Babiak's Article

Last night, I ripped out an article from the paper because I wanted to quote it. As I logged into blogger, I looked around for the article, trying to remember where I put it. Oh right. In the back pocket of my jeans. The jeans I just put in THE WASH! I managed to remove the very soggy bits of paper from my pants, but only in little tiny shredded bits.

Hey wait - thanks to the miracle of the web, I can find the article on line. The article, by Todd Babiak, was called Canada's tolerant culture: Gay marriage foes aren't Sponge-worthy and reflected on the oddity that is the current attack on Spongebob Squarepants because he/it/whatever appears to certain groups as a Gay Character. The quote:

Conservative American and British magazines have had fun characterizing Canadians in the last couple of years as marijuana-smoking gay-lovers. This has been a source of immense pride for millions of us who grew up without a national identity.


All I could think was SO TRUE, SO TRUE (while laughing, of course). The Canadian national identity is mostly built on the fact that we are NOT Americans. That's it - Not Americans. Oh, and we are polite. But in today's climate of the Christian Right having an extremely loud voice in the US, Canadians can also identify as being more liberal/tolerant/non-conservative. I realize that much of my readership is American, and I love you all individually, but I think it's pretty clear I don't love your president. I am Liberal with the big L. I'd be a Democrat if I lived in the states. I'd probably one of those people who apologized on the Sorry Everybody website. Which brings me to a very odd thought. The Red States are the Republican states, the blues ones Democratic, right? How did the Republicans get to be red? Here, it's the Liberals that are Red. And besides, weren't the Communists red? Better Dead Than Red wasn't it?

Quick - guess which way I'll vote if this "snap election" gets called! *L*

No comments: