Sunday, August 21, 2005

Heather's Going Away

My old roommate Heather is moving to Ontario to do her PhD at the University of Waterloo. Good for her, as I'm sure she'll be amazing. She's explained it to me a couple of times and it's all very impressive, but the part that stands out most for me is where she will be doing research for the Canadian Space Agency and NASA!

This weekend we gave her one heck of a send off. Friday night, we went to Julio's Barrio on Whyte, one of her favourite restaurants, for supper and margaritas. We gave her a scrapbook I made, containing pics from the last 10 years that we all have been friends. That's when both Heather and I moved here as first year university students.

Here's a pic of the scrapbook. Making the scrapbook was fun and I'm glad I did it. Making the pic of the scrapbook was done because I couldn't sleep. *g*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After Julio's, we moved onto a bar called the Thirsty Turtle, which I quite like. It has pool tables, a small dance floor and $1.50 highballs until 10pm. There was much drinking to be had and the occasional dance as well. Around 11pm, we moved to The Attic, which has an even smaller dance floor that is always packed. There was more drinking. Yes. That's all.

The next day, we had plans to go to the Waterpark (indoor wave pool and waterslides at West Edmonton Mall) at 130. I had never been before and enjoyed it. I actually went on waterslides! Ok, a whole THREE waterslides, including one that even I admit is a baby slide. Mostly, Kim, Heather and I hung out in the waves while the boys went on every waterslide twice.

After the waterpark, we ran home, showered, changed and went to another going away party for Heather at another friend's house. Thankfully, it was a quiet party, just board games, video games and just the occasional beer for the brave ones. I came in second at Risk, which is rare for me. Somehow I held Asia for at least a full turn!

I will miss Heather very much, but I think her send off was fine tribute to the girl I met in Lister. I know she will do great out there.

No comments: