Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Gay Marriage

Ralph Klein suggested we start a letter writing campaign regarding the issue of gay marriage. I realize he was talking to those who oppose gay marriage, but I thought it was an excellent idea. So here are copies of my letters. They do get a bit repetitive but I like what I had to say.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To my federal MP:


Ms. McLellan,

I am a constituent in your riding of Edmonton Centre and am writing to you regarding the gay marriage issue. As you are deputy prime minister, I am confident that you are supporting the supreme court decision regarding gay marriage. I would like to thank you for representing my views. As a Albertan who supports gay marriage, I worry that my voice is not being heard.

I consider myself to be an average Albertan, who has benefited from all Alberta has to offer and who enjoys living in Edmonton. I also support gay marriage as I do not feel it diminishes 'traditional' marriage and only strengthens the institution by offering it to both heterosexual and homosexual couples who want to make a strong, true commitment.

Thank you.


To my Premier:


Dear Mr. Klein,

I am writing to you as I feel my voice is not being heard on the issue
of gay marriage. I consider myself to be an average Albertan who has benefited from all that Alberta has to offer. I am college educated, I have a job I enjoy and a home I am proud of. But I do not feel like my voice is being represented by your government.

I support gay marriage. I do not feel it diminishes 'traditional' marriage and only strengthens the institution by offering it to both heterosexual and homosexual couples who want to make a strong, true commitment.

Thank you.


To my provincial MLA:


Ms. Blakeman,

I am a constituent in your provincial riding of Edmonton Centre and am writing to you regarding the gay marriage issue. I feel my voice is not being heard by the provincial government on the issue of gay marriage and have also written Ralph Klein on this issue.

I consider myself to be an average Albertan who has benefited from all that Alberta has to offer. I am college educated, I have a job I enjoy and a home I am proud of. I also support gay marriage. I do not feel it diminishes 'traditional' marriage and only strengthens the institution by offering it to both heterosexual and homosexual couples who want to make a strong, true commitment.

Thank you.


1 comment:

Fancy C. Poitras said...

I just wrote to Ralph Klein thanking him for advising me to contact my MP about this issue. ;)