Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Long Weekend

Phew. This long weekend actually felt long. This was probably my first real long weekend in years since I was working part time before and frequently had several days off in a row. When I was working nights, I worked every second weekend no matter what. So technically this weekend was a three day break. How come I don't feel rested?

I woke up on Saturday almost an hour earlier than my usual workday as I had an early morning appointment (after staying up to 330am reading Time Traveler's Wife - great book!). When I got home, I spent a few hours cleaning before hopping on a bus for the two hour ride to my grandmother's - a bus, the skytrain, the seabus and another bus. Oh the joy. It was worth it though, as I had a lovely cup of tea (what can I say, we're British!), a piece of chocolate cake and a long chat with her. My parents and sister picked me up from there and we went to the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). It's a lot like K-days - rides, a midway, exhibition halls and performers. We wandered around for hours, had supper listening to some mandolin players, watched the Superdogs (way more amusing than I thought possible), resisted spending a fortune on useless junk, and ended the night with an ice cream cone.

My sister came home with me and spent the weekend at my house. We went for a workout and a swim Sunday morning, checked out the mall, had Rod and Fancy over for some board games, and watched Hidalgo. Monday morning, we took the bus back to my parents (AGAIN) and met up with them and grandmother for a walk through Lynn Valley Headwaters - a really incredible area. We went for about four hours, and had lunch in a sunny spot in the middle of the forest. Lots of people on the trails as the weather was gorgeous.

I've been trying to make curtains for my living room but haven't got very far. So much fabric to fold and iron and hem. I want to finish them by Saturday though as I'm hoping to have my first dinner party. I'll have to make a serious effort!

No comments: