Friday, August 11, 2006

Live From Edmonton

Well amigos, I have a feeling I'll be packing up my beloved computer tomorrow so I thought I should make one last blog post from Edmonton.

I had a really nice day today, my last day at work. When I came in this morning, there were some signs posted around saying Good Luck/Farewell etc. I also had a vase full of carnations and baby's breath on my bench! I spent the day training my replacement and then we had an afternoon coffee break with cake and lots of treats. My co-workers gave me some cards, a company water bottle, a company bag, a HBC gift card and a really nice wall plaque. It was lovely. I got a bit teary as everyone was saying goodbye. I worked there for 6.5 years as I started right after I graduated from university.

Can't help reminiscing about all my time here in Edmonton. It will be just two weeks shy of 11 years. I moved here at the end of August 1995 and moved into Lister Hall. I remember the first person I met (Donald, wearing a white and purple bathrobe) and my first Edmonton bar (BPs). I remember Lori insisting we had to go to MH to met those cute guys. My obsession with checking my messages. The time I shaved my eyebrows. And my head. Manson's fish killing spree. The Goddard-Baydak Discipline Centre. My first real apartment with the weird stain on the kitchen floor, but so conveniently located across the street from BPs. My first big move when I moved downtown, where for the first time everything I owned didn't fit into the back seat of a car. I love my current apartment, can't believe I've lived here for almost 6 years. Kind of odd that it finally looks like I've always wanted it too, and I've sold it. But it's time to go home. I only meant to stay for university, but when I graduated, I wasn't ready to leave the life I had built here. All my friends. I really loved my years here in Edmonton, but I just feel a need to be closer to my family. When they were here in April, I almost left with them then. I tried to get to them to move out here, but my mother has serious issues with Alberta weather.

It will be nice to be home, but it will be weird too. 11 years gone. Glad I have my own place and I don't have to live with my parents!! I just can't believe there is only 2 full days left....

1 comment:

Fancy C. Poitras said...

With Rod and I being out here too, hopefully it eases the adjustment from Edmonton to Vancouver again. See you tomorrow!