Sunday, January 14, 2007

Interview Questions

What a crazy week. The weather is just insane. I heard rumours that Vancouver was warm and rainy in the winter, but they lied. Wednesday was the day of the big snow storm. I worked an afternoon shift, so when I went to work the roads weren't too bad and the traffic was just slightly higher than normal. The snow got heavier and heavier throughout the afternoon and evening and the city went nuts. At supper, four hours after I started work, I went out to move my car from the outside parking lot to the underground parking lot. There was about a foot and half of snow covering my car. People stayed quite late at work, trying to avoid the incredible tangle of traffic. I know of one guy who took over 3 hours to drive what usually took 30 minutes. When I finally got off work, it only took me an extra 10 minutes, but it helped that there were almost no other cars at that time of night. More snow in the forecast for this week!

Onto a meme - In case you haven't seen the interview meme before, someone asks you 5 questions and you answer them. Very simple. If anyone wants to ask me more questions, I'd love it. And if you want me to ask you 5 questions, let me know.

Questions I've been asked:

1) What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?

Veggies, I love veggies. I try to cut everything up when I get home from the grocery store so that it's ready to snack on when I get the munchies. A couple of things I like if I want to make them slightly fancier than plain veggies - steamed broccoli with ginger spice and garlic salt, fake nachos (a plate full of red/green pepper strips and tomatoes with shredded cheese), using lowfat/low cal salad dressing as a dip, dill pickles (nice crunch, lots of taste). I also use veggies to increase the volume of all my meals - having salads with everything, using bean sprouts or coleslaw (the bag stuff, not the mayo stuff) as a base for stirfrys instead of rice or pasta, etc. Fruit is also a a great snack, especially melon or berries. Fruit is a great alternative for dessert, it's nice and sweet. And even if you want something sugary with it, you can add a bit of chocolate topping or sugar (fake chemical stuff if you like, I use a packet of splenda sometimes). Suddenly I have a craving for a pita pizza - pita pocket used as a pizza crust with either tomato sauce or hummus and veggies.


2) How has the hockey been this year?

It's been fun. The Northwest division is super tight and teams keep trading first spot. Last time I looked, only 5 points separated first from fifth. It's more tragic when you look at the Conference as a whole, because then you discover the whole Northwest division kind of sucks. But it's been fun cheering for two teams (the Canucks and the Oilers) who are in the same division and frequently play each other. I've been to more games this year (4 so far) then I have in the last 10 years. I have a friend who throws hockey parties, so it's even been part of my social life. Good season! As for predictions - playoffs usually surprise me, but it really really looks like Buffalo and Anaheim have a lock on the final round.


3) You have 48 hours with unlimited funds and total free time. What do you do? (You can't just withdraw the money and move it to your savings account, it has to be spent within the 48 hours)

Wow. How wrong is it that my first thought was I'd stay in my pjs and never leave my house. Reading, sewing, soaking in the bath tub. I'm currently on a weird schedule that doesn't involve more than 1 day off at a time (this weekend, two days!). But the unlimited funds things, hmmm.... I want a spa day! The full package deal, massage, facial, haircut, mani/pedicure etc etc. Shopping spree. And a fabric shopping spree. Followed by another massage I think. I want to be pampered, can you tell?


4) Would you ever consider becoming a foster parent?

Actually, yes I would. My grandmother was a foster parent to babies back in the 50s and 60s and three of my aunts and uncles are adopted. One of my cousins is technically a foster kid, but he's been part of our family for at least 6 years now. Hopefully one day I'll be stable enough with decent enough hours to be able to offer a good home to someone who needs it. I actually plan to look into becoming a Big Sister this year, but I have to figure out the time commitment. I'd love to get involved in something like Girl Guides, but I can't commit to evening week hours.


5) How are you liking your new job? Are you no longer on night shift?

I really really like my new job. It's got lots of variety - running instruments, looking at slides, miscellaneous testing. I no longer work traditional nights like I used to, but I now work mostly evenings. I don't really care during the week, but it sucks on Fridays!

No comments: