Sunday, January 21, 2007

unrelated thought bubbles

Great news! Booked a flight to Edmonton for Easter weekend. Hopefully, people will be around.

I am seriously addicted to West Wing. I'm downloading the next season as I watch the one before. I can't stop. I'm near the end of season four and can't get over how so many of the issues are still current. And the now obvious foreshadowing (I don't know if that's the right word though. Sure, it would be foreshadowing in a book where the author knows the end, but in a tv series, do they have any idea how it will end?). But anyway - there are at least two references to making Leo vice-president during Barlett's reign, so now it makes complete sense that Leo's on the ticket later. Mostly I just want to skip to season 7 and watch Donna and Josh get together.

I'm having a Robbie Burns supper next weekend for my cousins and me. I drove out to Langley to pick up the haggis and black pudding I ordered on Saturday morning. I hate Langley! The drive out was very pretty as I took highway 10 and got to see the sun trying to break through all the morning fog. But once I got to Langley, I got very confused in the miles and miles of big box stores. Why can't we just have a really big mall with a directory?! I finally found the little shop I needed and picked up my order. It smells. And it's frozen! Dear god... I have to cook this.

So I'm reading Eat, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Turns out I'm a fan of a thing called the Oxford comma. When I edit things, I tend to add commas. When my dad edits the same paper (this happened a lot, my sister always wanted two opinions and then went her own way), he takes them out. Turns out both methods are legit. An example: my way - 'The American flag is red, white, and blue.' My dad's way - 'The American flag is red, white and blue.' The extra comma is called an Oxford comma. Haven't you always wanted to know that?

My car is going in this week for its first scheduled tuneup since I bought it. Since I didn't want to go through the angst of finding a trustworthy mechanic near where I live, I'm using my dad's mechanic. This means I had to leave my car up there and borrowed my dad's old car. It's old. It's huge. I want my car back! And it's weird driving it. My dad bought it when I was in high school. I was never ever allowed to touch it. It was the "good" car. Now it's nearly 15 years old and in rough shape. Please don't let it snow until I get my car back.

I seem to have lost interest in Canadian politics. Even the liberal leadership conference didn't really spark anything. But wow, I'm interested in the Democratic presidential nomination. And it's like a year away! Very, very, very interesting, so many possibilities. Of course, I can't vote there, so it doesn't matter. And the only news story here starting tomorrow morning will be the Pickton trial. I may have to start listening to music again, instead of the all news station. Music... I wonder what they are playing this year.

1 comment:

Fancy C. Poitras said...

Isn't it interesting, this Oxford Comma dilemma? I remember learning about them in Grade 2, and the teacher emphasized you could use them or not use them, it was all the same. So the rule I go by is this - if I'm simply listing things, I don't bother, but if I'm trying to distinguish the items as separate but related, I use the comma.

Ahhhh, Pickton. Sick to death of it already, and it's only the first trial. I say we do the only civilized thing, and just put him in general population in a prison with a high Native population. Let nature run it's course.