Monday, May 28, 2007

First Hike of the Season

Finally went hiking this year! Three of us have new packs and decided it was time to break them in and do some training for more serious hikes later in the year. We went up to Lynn Headwaters (near my parents' place) and hiked up to Norvan Falls. About 15km round trip. It was absolutely perfect. The sun couldn't quite break through the clouds, so it wasn't hot at all. Tshirt and pants weather. Only put on my fleece jacket while we had lunch in the shade, sitting next to Norvan creek. Took us about 5 hours, including 3 generous snack breaks. My legs were a bit sore coming back on the gravel road, but not too bad. My pack was about 18 lbs so next time out I'll add maybe 5 more lbs. My sleeping bag for starters, got to figure out how to stuff that thing properly so it fits in the designated spot for it. I also want to buy a camera case that I can attach to the front of my pack. The only suitable pocket for my camera isn't accessible when the pack is on, so I hardly took any pics since I had to take my pack off first.

Spent Saturday night in NV as my complex had a sewer back up in the building across the lot. I wasn't affected at all, but no flushing allowed! It was pretty lucky actually - my parents had picked up my refinished coffee table (it is absolutely amazing! Looks brand new with a gorgeous dark red finish) and drove it out to my place. They were the ones who discovered the note explaining the situation and called me on my cell to tell me not to bother coming home! When I got back Sunday afternoon, all was well. Spent the rest of the day playing with my music on the computer, ripping CDs and trying to sort it all out. I need new music for the car, for those evil rush hour days.

No comments: