Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Move-iversary!

Wow, it's been one year to the day that I moved to Vancouver. It doesn't feel like a year, it feels like forever. My ten year hiatus in Edmonton is kind of dream sequence really.

So was this a good decision? Yes, clearly. I like my job (most days anyway!), I love love love my apartment, I like being near my family (dinner with Grandma tomorrow), and it's been great picking up where I left off with my high school girls. Am I 100% happy? Of course not. A certain something (someone) is lacking from my life, but this was the same situation in Edmonton (I'm working on it though, perhaps there will be good posts in the near future. Lots of "learning experiences" though. Although this will most likely only be a revelation to me, turns out I'm not at all attracted to guys like me, by which I mean techno/science geeks. If at any time on a date, I think "wow, we have a lot in common", it pretty much seems to mean he's doomed.). Am I happier than I was in Edmonton? Yes. I have trees and mountains and frequent hugs.

Do I miss Edmonton? No. Except sometimes I dream of the mall. And I do miss certain people and certain things. Post workout Booster Juice with Erin and Kim (Oh hey, I joined a new gym, more like WHC. Open late and only 2 blocks from work, so no more excuses.) Chats over tea at Cargo and James. Game nights at Lori and Rob's. Pool at BPs. Julio's nachos and margaritas. Anytime Jay tells me I missed pie night, I get wildly jealous - which is odd since I never went when I lived there. I think Edmonton people should roadtrip to Vancouver. I have a sofa bed!

This weekend is a big birthday party fest for 2 friends. I think I'll pretend it's an anniversary party for me!

1 comment:

Fancy C. Poitras said...

You know, it's funny, you're right, it doesn't feel like a year, but while it seems like forever to you, it feels like it was a blink of an eye ago that you moved here.

I'm glad you are happy here :) Rod and my mother have both remarked that I'm generally a happier person since we moved here, so it was clearly the right choice for all of us.