Friday, August 10, 2007

The Camping Post

My only excuse is that I was on vacation. Well for part of the last month anyway. To make up for it, a Friday post!

Edited entries from my camping journal

July 28 - Got to the campground early, but our site was ready anyway. Tents went up fast, but the tarp was difficult as the trees refuse to cooperate. After lunch, we explored the trails around the campsite for about an hour. Dad and I went for another walk in the afternoon through the interpretative area (with no signage) and the Trail of the Fallen Giants.

July 29 - Officially a family camping trip now as it rained. Walked from the campsite at Gold Creek to Lower Falls, wearing our rain ponchos. Basic trail, fairly popular, the falls were nice. Probably about 6.5K return. Back by lunch. Went for another afternoon walk with dad to the Tiarella Nature Trail, about 1.5 hours.

July 30 - Hike planned to Lake Beautiful today, starting at Mike Lake. First part of the trail called Incline Trail - 1.2K UP. And up and up... We then walked along fire access roads and short cuts through forest, including old growth. We got to the final turnoff to Lake Beautiful, after about 2.5 hours of hiking, to discover it was completely overgrown. We had lunch in a mosquito filled clearing (quickly!) and headed back. About 12K since we didn't go all the way up.

July 31 - Dad and I went kayaking in Alouette Lake in the morning. I had serious steering issues on the paddle out, and zigzagged my way along. It was way easier on the way back, even though it was into the wind and waves. Ended up with blisters on both hands! We walked back to camp via the Alouette Valley Trail and Menzies Trail. About 6K.

Aug 1 - Last full day. Did the East Canyon Trail from the Lower Falls parking lot to where it connected with Gold Creek. Very pretty. Had lunch on a rock/sand beach. Decided to go wading and discovered it's glacier fed! Managed to slowly work my way up to my knees over a 30 min period and it didn't seem so cold anymore. So I went swimming - for about 3 seconds. It was so cold, I practically forgot how to make my limbs work. Dried off in the sun and hiked back to a connecting trail (ie goat trail) that linked up with Lower Falls. Until today, had only seen a couple of people on the trails, but when we got to the Lower Falls trail, there were lots. We had only been spared them on the first day by the rain.

Had a really good trip. Couldn't believe how close to the city we were (about an hour from my parents' in light traffic), and yet it's all 80 year old forest. Beautiful.

So if this works, you should be able to click this link and see all my photos (44).
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11483&l=efe6b&id=551746582

No comments: